Sunday, December 21, 2008

Day 4

I was uncomfortable today. I tied my scarf really tight, because it was a busy day at church with the children's play. I knew the last thing I needed was a drooping scarf. And this scarf is polyester, so sometimes those ones have a mind of their own. Like the time I was wandering down the aisle in the grocery store, and all of the sudden, my scarf spontaneously came untied, and just fell off my head. So there I was with my matted down scarf head (scarf head is ten times more unattractive than hat head, by the way) trying to tie it back on with a roving crowd of people watching and the obligatory running commentary of unnecessary advice from my three year old. Not a fun day.

Anyway, so I tied it good and tight this morning and headed off to Liturgy. Somewhere around the Great Entrance, I realized I had lost all blood circulation to my ears. It's an odd feeling having your ears fall asleep. Not quite as charming as waking back up an arm or leg. Much more painful and tough to shake.

So, I went without a covering this afternoon while I took a nap. I'll put one on again when my husband and I go out to do a little Christmas shopping. Sometimes I go around the house without a covering, like the days homeschooling keeps me from getting into the shower until noon, but I never go out in public without one. I think I would feel naked. Overexposed. That was an interesting thing I noticed when I started covering. Yes, people look at you because you're dressed differently, but at the same time, you become more anonymous. Especially to men. Sure, they glance, but they look away. And they always open doors...

The covering is like a universal off limits sign. Men are visual. Take away the visual, and they're not distracted. I am a woman not to be ogled, and I have the sign on my head to prove it. Covering seems to bring out the inner gentleman in the male race. Like the desire to woo and conquer is replaced with the equally strong desire to protect and defend. Incredibly interesting human psychology. Information already known to God and accounted for in his plan for women to cover. I'm just catching on a little late in the game.

2 comments:

  1. What an absolutely awesome observation: that the headcovering is like a universal "off limits" sign. They glance, but look away... and they open doors. You're clearly "feminine" when covered and modest, but not frumpy. I think the missing element that makes the difference is "frumpiness"!

    Anna-Paraskeva

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sure, they glance, but they look away. And they always open doors..." SO SO SO true! :)

    ReplyDelete