Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 1

I've been skirts/dresses only and headcovering for six months now. Seems like longer. A couple weeks ago, I wore a pair of jeans when I was outside in the cold for a long time. I couldn't stand it. Funny how your mind adjusts. In my experience, it took about three weeks to no longer feel "dressed up" in a skirt. Now, it's my normal. What I did for three decades has been canceled out by six months. Perhaps it's the me that was always in there and never got a chance to come out??? Perhaps the thousands of years of women in dresses can't be canceled out by my three decades in Levi's??? Probably a bit of both.

I know when I first began this journey, I scoured the internet for pictures of women living their everyday lives in dresses and headcoverings. I used to live in Amish country, so I was familiar with that scenario. I now live in an area with a relatively large population of Muslims and Orthodox Jews. I understood where they were coming from. I wanted to see other average Christian women striving for modesty.

So, here's the beginning of a week's worth of pics. Maybe it will help someone else exploring these issues. I've already discovered this will be a further polishing away of my vanity. Yikes! I'm usually the one that takes the photos. I'm not in very many pictures. Didn't realize quite how I look at this age or dress size. Good lessons...

Here's my outfit for the day. Check out the oh-so-cool leg warmers. My eldest daughter despises them, but she's not the one walking around in a skirt when it's 20 degrees! I find they make an enormous difference in staying warm. If your ankles are warm, you're warm. Don't know exactly why that's true scientifically, but it's the case.

Here's my headcovering for the day.


This represents a recurring theme in my headcovering style: the kerchief. Sometimes they're long. Sometimes they're short. They're almost all basically kerchiefs, though. Someday when my hair grows out, I'll wear snoods or a bun, but for now, I'm learning to be content with my teeny ponytail and kerchief.

I won't even attempt to launch into a explanation or justification of my move to feminine dress and headcovering. Every time I start, I end up in a tangled mess. It's still something I learn about each day. God didn't give me all the answers in one moment. It's not that simple. I hope I can share a few tidbits here and there, though. It means more than I can summarize. It's worth more than I can verbalize. Maybe I'll be able to fully explain it someday. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment